Small ways to save the earth while planning your wedding...
- Choose invitations made from 100% recycled paper
- Donate to a charity in honor of your guests as a favor (use a service such as the I Do Foundation)
- The Arbor Day Foundation allows you to give trees as favors- love this!!
- Choose a florist who uses organically grown, in-season, local flowers
- Reuse items you already have for decor, such as votive holders, vases, etc. Borrow things if you can!
- Shop Etsy for favors, fashion, and more to support small business owners
Taking it a step further...
- Consider using a catering company that uses only local sources for their ingredients and/or certified sustainable resources for fish and chicken
- Have people RSVP by email or phone, saving paper by cutting out RSVP cards
- Purchase a "once-worn" or vintage wedding dress, rather than buying new
- Choose rings made from recycled gold, or silver because it is less harmful to those mining it
- Cut your guest list
And the tree-hugging goodness...
- Use completely biodegradable, compostable plates, silverware, cups, etc. made of things like potato and corn starch (check out worldcentric.org)
- Search for transportation that is more environmentally-friendly, such as those that run on clean fuel (CNG)
- Choose a gown made from organic cotton, peace silk, or hemp- check out gown designer Wai-Ching
- Use beeswax or soy-based candles rather than paraffin, a petroleum-based product
- Plan an ecotourism honeymoon
Do one, do them all- it's totally up to you!